Saturday, November 5, 2011


Fine Woodworking has included my bench(more here)in their latest issue, Tools and Shops #223, page 83! Here's a link to the online post. I'm pretty excited about it, getting into FWW has been a goal of mine for quite a while now.

Original Sketchup Concept

I've been using the bench for almost two years now. It's performed as I'd hoped. I don't use the ebony guides in the vise for aligning stock, a bevel gauge works better, but I still use them for setting the gauge. The main argument against workbench tool storage is that as soon as you clamp stock to the front of the bench, the drawers are inaccessible. The fear is that a tool will be needed, necessitating the unclamping of the workpiece. This has happened to me a total of three times in the last two years, and moving the part isn't a big deal at all.

I don't use the Tucker very often, the Twin-Screw end vise is the one I use 90% of the time. However, it has saved me a lot of grief from the other 10%. It excels at oddball jobs, and I love it for rasp, spokeshave, and carving work. It's a luxury I'd have a very hard time giving up.

Now that I've used one, I recommend a tool tray highly. Those who complain that they just collect chips don't clean up enough.

There are two things I'd change. I'd like the top a little wider and a little longer. I'd have one less top shallow drawer and I'd apply the space to the bottom largest. I can't get a #7 bench plane to fit unless I grind 1/16" off the top of the iron.

All told I'm very pleased with it. I still catch myself looking at it, and it's a real conversation piece with clients.

Search This Blog


Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a woodworker on the Canadian prairie.