Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Gets

There's nothing I like better than New Old Stock. In one of my favourite junk stores I came across a small pile of new in box Stanley 626 Hand Drills.



Based on the store's specialty, I'm guessing it's Canadian military surplus.



I cut through the brittle 47 year old masking tape, unwrapped it from its paper, wiped off the cosmoline, and screwed on the two side handles.



It's in great shape, aside from the missing orange paint. I'm not sure what happened to it, there was a few flakes inside the box but nowhere near as many as there should have been. It's almost as though it dissolved away. Sitting in grease did nothing for the handles, either, they're pretty rough and would benefit from a clean up.



One of my favourite brand marks, the Stanley Sweetheart.



I paid $20 for it, which I think is a decent price, especially compared to Lee Valley's $60 version. Either way, I don't know how much I'll use it, it takes far more time and effort to drill a hole compared to my Bosch cordless. I'm not going to return it though, it was far too much fun opening up this time capsule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a woodworker on the Canadian prairie.