Saturday, January 16, 2010

(Like) New Gets

I bought a Veritas honing guide at my first visit to a Lee Valley store, eleven years ago.



I haven't used it in ten and a half years. I hollow grind my chisels, so they're easy to get shaving sharp by freehand honing, and I wasn't using handplanes then. I put the guide away, as it wasn't worth the hassle. I used the guide today for the first time on my plane irons. The improvement in edge quality is remarkable.

My 7C cuts a nice heavy chip, full width.



The 5C was my worst plane, I rarely used it. Now it cuts to a mirror finish on this soft Maple.



The 3C is cutting a wispy shaving. The iron is the original Sweetheart, and suffers from light pitting. I need to replace it.



I found locking down the knob when both corners of the iron and both edges of the roller were flat on the stone was easier than using the angle jig. I'll still hone my chisels freehand, but I think plane irons benefit from the precision the guide provides.



For the first time in a decade, I can say that I'm glad that I have this guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a woodworker on the Canadian prairie.